Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No baby? No baby.

Everyday, at least twice a day, I get an email from Kyle that typically has no words in the body of the email but the subject line reads, "No baby?" and I press reply and just respond, "No baby." I wonder sometimes if he ever thinks I'll reply with, "Yes, baby...you missed a good show." Either way, that's all just to state up front that in fact there is still no baby (clarification: there is still a baby, you just can't see him yet). But, just like anything else in life, in order for something to become habit or routine (second nature, if you will), you have to be proactive and practice that behavior, no matter how uncomfortable it is, so that it slowly becomes normal.

That, my friends, is the point of this post. Practice, Practice, Practice.

We had the 38 week appointment yesterday. All was pretty routine. A little progress from the last appointment so that was good. She also was able to tell he was, as the Phd's call it, Sunny Side Up ("SSU"). For those less educated, SSU means that although he is head down, he is face up rather than face down, face down being the natural position for delivery. I didn't ask too many questions about it all (I mean, why ask questions to your doctor when you can just go home and google it and read about every terrifying thing that can occur b/c he's SSU so that you live in more anxiety the next week and a half), but the doc didn't seem concerned in the slightest and so long as everything else is okay I can still deliver normally. In fact, I read up on it when I got home and the baby can still turn at any point, even during active labor before he comes out. Sometimes the doc can even turn them as well (I shall go no further with this thought for fear of causing any visuals that people don't wish to have at the moment). The little man and I had some talks about this in the evening as I also read when they do come out SSU, labor is typically a little/lotta more difficult for mom and it can also make recovery a little/lotta bit more painful (see Note above how Google is the devil).

The doc also pushed around a bit on the belly and thinks he's measuring about 7 lbs. Although I would be content with that, I don't hold much faith in the estimate b/c let me tell you, nothing of what the lady was doing was scientific in the slightest. In fact, I just kept imagining it was probably extremely irritating to the baby (I would compare it to the idea of being put in a washing machine) who's in there going, "Oh yea?!?!..and for that I shall stay put another 2 weeks." Thanks, doc.

Other than that. All is typical. Our snow day on Monday was wonderful as Kyle and I could be home together. At one point Kyle came up to check on me and I had mentioned I wanted to go shovel the driveway to get it cleared before it got icy again at night. He clearly started to panic and was throwing on winter clothes and telling me that I should NOT be shoveling driveways at my state and he would go do it. Yet, my snow pants (i.e. his wind pants) were already on and I managed to get out the door before he did. As I started shoveling he quickly arrived to the scene and removed the weapon from my hands. I'm no fool though as I realize this baby isn't coming out by me just sitting around, and before Kyle could count to 5, he turned around again and found me with a rake cleaning off the cars and continuing to clear out the snow. He shook his head in disgust and politely reminded me that the nurse has called our baby defiant on numerous occasions and why it was he wasn't surprised.

I leave you with a photo of Daisy and her snow-mate. They really were best friends on Monday (until Daisy chewed off his nose - oh well, fun while it lasted).






3 comments:

the reppard crew said...

just wanted to tell you that our pediatrician has told me not once, but twice, to stop reading things on the internet. and, my friend, i pass that advise along to you. best of luck. :)

Unknown said...

Just because I didn't leave a comment on this one does mean i didn't read it... as a matter of fact I read it like 3 times to to make sure I got it into my head that there was in fact "NO BABY... YET" Anyway you can put my bet on the 13th.... but really anytime before Monday will be great because I will not be able to wait anoooother week to see him!

CANNOT WAIT--Love you!!

jessy said...

Its about time you started blogging again, in fact, Becky and I were so excited we actually read it together over the phone. Please don't let us get that ridiculous again.