Sunday, February 12, 2012

2nd Child Syndrom



I know a LOT of people are thinking that Hazel has gotten the shaft already as second child since there are almost ZERO blog posts to discuss her life.  The "awww, poor Hazel" I get constantly as she flashes those pearly gums (with 2 new bottom teeth to show for) puts her in a sympathy category only one level above Daisy.  I'm here to say though that I can summarize Hazel's life up between the months of 0-5 pretty easily.

Sad.

Sweet girl was JUST SAD. Some asked if she had reflux, others wondered if she was getting enough food (then they looked at her and realized she was), and still others just searched her up and down for a hair to be tied around a finger or toe as the reason for the sadness.  Kyle and I had another theory.

Drama.

She's our girl - she's my girl..what did we expect?  She's was our little drama queen and we also have come to realize that sleep is UBER important to her. So, in those first few months, all she wanted to do was sleep and UNLIKE me, she is pretty partial to only sleeping in her bed.  I once fell asleep at a Villanova basketball game with thousands of people surrounding me cheering. I didn't care - passed right out.  Kyle is appalled that I once fell asleep at Braveheart..in the theater...4th row back.  I specifically LOVE to fall asleep in the car (not if I'm driving) or a plane - they are almost toxic to me - I get in and I get drowsy.  Schweetums on the other hand liked her bed.  Falling asleep in a car seat was torture to her.



You could almost HEAR her saying through her screams - if this is life outside of the womb, I want to get back in.  It was sad.  So, because she was tired all the time and because she had an older brother who, as it turns out, did NOT want to nap all day every day - schweetz could be found screaming in her car seat at almost any hour of the morning...and afternoon...and evening until bedtime.



BUT -

Then we hit about 5 months and we got happy. SO HAPPY. My little strawberry head started getting on a schedule and sleep was predictable and that made her happy - and happy baby means happy family so we were ALL happy.  She started sitting up around then and getting on all fours as to threaten us that she was going to be mobile soon.  The docs kept trying to get us to feed her solid food but she'd have no part of it. If she had ANY of it, you can guarantee it was because she ripped the spoon from my hand and shoved it in her own mouth.  Yes, already we can see she's Miss Independent.  Gray never ever cared to hold his own bottle - he'd probably be content with me putting grapes in his mouth one by one as well - but little sweets is all about doing it herself so us trying to feed her never went over well. Oh and she and ear infections are synonymous.  Jury is still out as to whether tubes will be in her future but they come one right after another since October.  we go back tomorrow to have them checked again - I'll keep you posted.



NOW -

My sweets is 7 months and moving all over and pulling up to stand on whatever she can find (did I mentioned Gray didn't do that stuff until about 11 months??). She IS her brother's worst nightmare - seriously.  Well, her and donkeys - but that's another post.  She can't be stopped.  Gray is so torn - he LOVES to play with her but would prefer she not touch a single toy (unless he has picked it out for her) and would prefer she not touch him - yeeeeaahhh...that's going to be a problem.  As you can imagine he has anxiety much of the day when she's home unless she's "trapped" in her exersaucer or her swing..or eating.  BUT oh man, WHAT. A. LOVE.  So entirely different from her brother but so disgustingly cute and fun.  It's not often I want time to stop but lately I have.  Just stop.  She loves her some food now, we do sibling baths, her giggle is the best thing in the world, and she will actually sit in her car seat without screaming.  Does it get much better than that?  We think not.






Alright, so that's our sweet, sweet girl all caught up.  Now I can just post about the daily happenings of life and that is such a relief :).  Next up though is a post I started about 4 months ago recapping some of who Gray has been and his funny antics.  I'll get that posted and we'll then really be able to move forward.  Oh blog - it's good to be back.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

you are such a great mom! thanks for reminding me to enjoy my children more! i wish i were there to know that little hazie in person, but i love getting to know her a little better with your pictures and posts.